This is my low cholesterol Oyakodon recipe. My heart friendly take on the Oyakodon.
Instead of putting 3 whole eggs, I only added 2 eggs. One whole and the other just the egg whites.
Researchers say that even though eggs are full of choleterol. One egg yolk alone contains about 200 mg of cholesterol.
Most people have no problem ingesting cholesterol from eggs. Saturated fats and trans fat is more of a concern. See what Harvard T.H. Chan have to say.
I really wanted chives to add with this cholesterol friendly Oyakodon recipe. Sadly, I could not find anything in the fridge.
I did find some coriander but it was so old, it turned yellow.
There is a bit of red there from the chili but it was cooked and not looking vibrant. Maybe I’ll make it again when I have some greens.
CHOLESTEROL FRIENDLY OYAKODON
- 2 tablespoons of Okonomiyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Mirin
- 2 tablespoons of Cooking Sake
- 3 pinches of salt
- 1 chili
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 egg whites only
- 1 whole egg
- 500 grams of chicken thigh
- Cut your chili in small pieces.
- Mix the Okonomiyaki sauce, Mirin, Cooking Sake, 2 pinches of salt and chili in one bowl.
- Cut up your chicken thigh pieces in bite sizes.
- Heat up your stainless steel pan or whatever pan you prefer on high heat.
- Add your oil
- Once the oil is smoking, add in your chicken thigh. Be careful of splatter.
- Brown the chicken thigh on both sides.
- While waiting for it to brown, mix the 2 eggs in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and beat it.
- Once the chicken thighs have browned, mix in your bowl of seasonings. You know the okonomiyaki sauce with chili and mirin and sake. All the good stuff.
- Stir and let the sauce reduce until it's sticky and thick.
- Once it's all reduced and thickened up, add the eggs on top. Make sure to cover every part.
- Reduce the stove top heat to low.
- Cover the pan so the eggs cook quicker.
- When the eggs are done, about 5 or less minutes, turn off the stove.
If you have not tried this recipe yet, it is so yum.
That sauce has some punch. It was only one chili. I think my tolerance for chili has gone down.
Try the recipe and let me know what you think. Bye!